Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Magic of Masking Tape

If you've ever seen me play, you know that at some point or another I will bring out masking tape.  When I travel to clients' homes, I often have masking tape with me - ready to help save the day. 

What, you may ask, am I doing with all this masking tape? 

Well, I'm using it to make roads on the ground.  This creates a wonderful visual for children to help them motor plan and sequence their ideas from one place to another.


I'm using it as a web to hold Spiderman from a skyscraper.


I'm using it to make casts on broken appendages.


I'm using it to tie closed the mouth of a ferocious beast and tie down the baddest of the bad guys.



Another great game is to wrap it around a child's feet with the sticky side out.  Then let them walk around with "sticky feet."  It's also fun to put some confetti on the ground and challenge your kids to pick it all up with their "sticky feet." 

Masking tape is also fantastic for utilitarian purposes in play - to help doors on cars that won't close, to hang up the written rules of a game or to tape on a name tag to help a child remember the role that they are playing.

Masking tape is just plain old awesome.  Your kids will come up with even more ideas, I'm sure!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Lots of great ideas I never would have thought of!

    ReplyDelete